Sunday, August 24, 2008

Random Update

I have been volunteering at the Lowndes County humane society and Todd has actually too (on Saturdays). We kind of go when we can and take the dogs/puppies out for a walk...it doesn't take much time. There was one dog there by the name of Daisy that we really liked...she was a yellow lab, about a year old and one of the sweetest dogs we have ever met. When I first saw her she was so scared and would not even stand up when you put a leash on her...she was too afraid. So I would just pet her in her pen (she did not want to go anywhere!!). Gradually she got closer and closer to getting out of the pen. After a couple of weeks Todd and I got her to come out of the pen but all of the other dogs started barking and scared her and she didn't know what to do. Todd picked her up and outside we went. Ever since then she would go out on her own, now that she knew she was going outside to play. Anyway, long story short we were thinking about rescuing her. We were hesitant because she was a large dog to have at our house back in PA (as most of you know we don't have much of a yard) so we decided that if they were going to put her down we would adopt her because she was just too sweet of a dog to pass up. However we decided to wait to see if she would get adopted.

Down here, the humane society has all sorts of dogs-no pit bulls-and this one has what is called a homeward bound program. They put the dog's pictures on a website for all humane societies (or anyone) to see and a lot of them get adopted that way. (Animals have been adopted from all over the United States.) About two weeks ago we went in and she was adopted through that program...we were happy for her that she had a home, but we are going to miss her!

We still volunteer there but we decided to look around and see what kind of dog was for us. We have talked about the idea of getting a dog for years and now is probably the best time to get one....I have a friend that will let her out during the day, Todd's schedule varies so he will be here randomly, I can let her out at lunch if I need to, we are renting here (not that we will not treat this house like our own, but you know what I mean), etc. Due to not wanting to have to vacuum every day we wanted to get a dog that had some poodle in it and we wanted a medium size dog...so we started looking at cockapoos.

About two weeks ago we picked out a little puppy and we will be getting her this Thursday. She will be 8 weeks old and I think we are going to name her Bella (our little southern belle). She will grow to be around 20lbs. So, that is the latest news! We just wanted to let you guys know...we are pretty excited and will let you know when she gets here! Here are a few pictures of her.....




7 comments:

The Akins Family said...

Hey...let me know when she is here. I want to see her and I would LOVE to see what Jackson thinks of a baby!

badger girl said...

so cute!! good luck, now you'll be "parents"....have fun!

Stephanie said...

How cute - now Tanner has someone to play with! LOL! Can't wait to meet her! Hugs to you both.

Traci said...

Oh that puppy is adorable! I LOVE puppies. I also think it is so cool that you guys volunteer at the humane society!

Anonymous said...

Cute puppy! If you every need anyone to let her out let me know, I love dogs. (As you know I have 2 of them already) When she gets bigger she'll have to play with Max and Molly, but I'm afraid they are too intense right now for a puppy :-)

Congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Todd & Tara, I love reading your blog and keeping up with what's going on in your lives. Your new puppy is so adorable - just precious - and very lucky to have a terrific "mom and dad" like you two. Have loads of fun with her. It's so cool that you both volunteer at the shelter - what a neat way to make a difference! I think of you often and will continue to keep you in my prayers.
Love, Rose

Anonymous said...

She is just adorable! I know you have been wanting a puppy for some time. Congratulations!! Take care!